6/5/12

Tortellini Minestrone

There has been a LOT of noodle action going on here at Recipes for a Quarterlife. My guts are feeling the pain. So. Many. Caarrrrbbbssss. I may have had noodles for lunch and for dinner on Sunday. In my defense, lunch was rice noodles and dinner was semolina pasta. 

So anyway, I'm not done.

But this recipe is like 85% vegetables or non-noodle ingredients, plus it's crazy delicious, so you should give it a chance. I've never been one to order minestrone in an italian restaurant because there are so many other things on the menu, but when I taste minestrone I am always delighted. Except it's always missing that something extra... This recipe is a mix of vegetable soup, minestrone, and a pasta dish and is missing nothing. It's perfect!

This recipe is an blend of recipes from Pink Parsley and Cook Like a Champion


Tortellini Minestrone
serves six


1 tbsp EVOO
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, sliced in half, the cut into half moons
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 sprigs thyme
1 package or 2 cups fresh spinach or cheese tortellini
1 15 oz can white/canellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt to taste
optional: pinch of crushed red pepper
toppings: pesto, shaved parmesan

In a large pot, heat EVOO over med-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes or until a bit softened.


Add zuch and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.


Add can of tomatoes with juice.


Add vegetable broth and water.


And toss in the thyme.


Add chili flakes now so that the flavor has time to develop. Change heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low to simmer for ten minutes.


Add beans. Taste for salt at this point. I like to use no salt added or low-sod stuff and then salt to my own preference.


Add tortellini and cook to package instructions.



Serve with a dollop of pesto and a sprinkle of cheese.


Yeah, I served it with bread.

1 comment:


  1. This is one of great tutorial I have ever seen.A lovely recipe with lovely making details.
    Tortellini recipes

    ReplyDelete