2/28/13

Artichoke Pesto Flatbread

I've recently discovered the joy of no-cheese pizzas. And I realize how crazy this sounds from someone who has previously rattled on and ON about the joys of all things cheese. I mean, cheese defines me.  Well, it DID at least. I haven't purchased cheese in 2 months. (Read: this is huge). I've had some sprinklings here and there, but nothing like I used to... and nothing like my childhood, when my parents would find string cheese wrappers like breadcrumbs in the wake of my dairy destruction...

Making pizza at home means topping it with whatever. I had a beet pizza a few weeks ago. But this one was the best, so here I am to share. Because sharing is caring!

Artichoke Flatbread Pizza
8 servings

1 can artichoke hearts packed in water
2 tbsp basil pesto
1 package whole wheat pizza dough
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced in rings
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. pitted kalamata olives, chopped

Preheat oven according to dough instructions (450F is usually on the money). Let pizza dough hang out on the counter to come to room temp and relax.

Pop open artichokes and drain. Quickly chop up with a food processor to a fine dice.


Saute over med-high heat for 5 minutes. This will help to evaporate extra water and soften up artichokes.


Remove from heat and stir in pesto. 

yeah, this pesto has parm in it. sneaky sneaky. but it was already in my fridge when i started this "no dairy" thing, so give me cred for not being wasteful, plz.
Roll out pizza dough on a floured pan using your fancy rolling pin (ikea glass).


Bake for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly brown. Sometimes it gets a giant bubble, just poke a hole in that to steam vent.


Spread artichoke pesto mixture evenly on crust.


Top with onion, mushroom, parsley, and olives.


And bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until onions are soft, crust is crispy, and mushrooms are shrivel-y.


Slice er up and serve with a big salad!



What cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment