11/1/11

Fro Yo Fail

Or not...

So I got an ice cream maker for my bday - yay! So excited to make fro yo and sorbet and okay, ice cream. But with non fat milk. Mostly.

Anyway, I gave her a whirl this weekend, but it was a partial fail. Only partial because it became frozen eventually, but a fail because it did not work out as planned. I know where I went wrong. I made a 1.5 batch without considering the size of the ice cream maker, so I totally overloaded it, and I only froze the base for 12 hours instead of the recommended 1-2 days.  Anyway, the recipe, once it finally did freeze overnight, was AMAZING. I don't know why they don't make this in stores.... It was a lot like tart fro yo, but more citrusy.

Vanilla Citrus Nonfat Fro Yo
1/2 c = 4 WW PP+


Ingredients

  • 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1 cups vanilla nonfat yogurt
  • 1 c white sugar
  • Juice of 4 lemons, 2 limes, 1 orange - the goal is 1 cup
  • 1 tbsp zest from said fruits
Instructions
  • In a sauce pan, combine sugar and juice
  • Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until all sugar is dissolved
  • Cool for several hours
  • When ready to make ice cream, mix fruit syrup, yogurt and zest in a large mixing bowl until well combined
  • Put in ice cream maker for 30 minutes
  • Stick in freezer for another 30 minutes to set for scoopability
  • Serve! 


great with berries and sponge cake...

I can't wait to keep experimenting! I want to try lower sugar recipes, or some with alternative sweetening like agave. Any ice cream maker tips are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment