Pumpkin French Toast
5 WW P+/2 slices
- 1/2 c. pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix, just pumpkin)
- 1/4 c. egg whites (I buy in the carton)
- 1/4 c. milk of choice - i.e. cow's, almond, soy, whatnot
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract
- 4 slices sourdough bread (or whatever flavor bread you like with pumpkin - but something sturdy is best - no soft whole wheat bread here or you will be very disappointed)
- 1 tbsp butter or earth balance
- Mix up pumpkin, eggs, milk, and spices - will be thick!
- Bathe bread in mixture, giving it some time to really soak in
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium high heat
- Fry french toast until golden on each side
- Serve with a nuts, a drizzle of agave or maple syrup, or a pumpkin topping (1 tbsp light whipped cream cheese, 1 tbsp nonfat plain greek yogurt, 2 tbsp pumpkin, agave to taste)
All the flavors of the holiday season with far less guilt than typical french toast. Pure pumpkin is an excellent source of fiber. If you use the egg whites, nonfat milk, and go light on the butter, this recipe really is an excellent alternative to traditional french toast that is laden with eggs, full fat milk or cream, and butter. It also curbs a pumpkin pie craving!
And now I have 3/4 of a can of pumpkin that I need something to do with ....