12/20/11

Vegan Taco/Burrito Filling

This blog has been super sugary recently and we need to balance this business out, ASAP.

Let's make a complete 180 from all the desserts, sweets, breakfast foods, and candy and go directly to vegan mexican food. K?

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Trader Joe's?

Well, I do. And here are two of the greatest packaged foods in the whole store: steamed lentils and soy chorizo. HELLOOO! Soy Chorizo?!?!

First off, normal chorizo is heavily spiced, super fatty pork sausage. Don't get me wrong, it is delish, but it doesn't have much nutritional merit. So if I can sub the fatty porky version with a soy, cholesterol free version and trick my taste buds, I'm in.

Cut that with high protein, high fiber, tasty lentils and you have a protein packed, delicious and nutritious mixture.

Step 1: Get your butt to TJ's.


Step 2:
Saute a diced yellow onion in a bit of EVOO, add crumbled package of soy chorizo (12 oz) and cook 4-5 minutes, then stir in 2 cups of cooked lentils and heat through.



Step 3:
Eat.


For realsies, couldn't be easier.

Uses:

  • Tacos
  • Burritos
  • Breakfast burritos
  • Breakfast tacos
    • in other words, this is great with eggs and potatoes!
  • Tamale filling
  • Taco salad topping
  • Mexican casseroles
  • Enchiladas
  • Nachos
  • Just for snacking
  • Sloppy Jose's
I think I've made my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment