Tonight I cooked a vegetarian meal to celebrate my sister Leah's birthday! I had to convince her to come and she was also sick (read: neti pot), oh, an my dog kept trying to kill her, but the evening was a success in the kitchen!
Let me sharesies! Tonight's menu:
Spinach Enchiladas Suiza (The Vegetarian Epicure)
Fiesta Lime Rice (www.skinnytaste.com)
Green Salad with Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing (www.skinnytaste.com)
Lemon Ginger Snap Cheesecake Cups (www.skinnytaste.com + my own little twist)
Well first off, I almost did it again. I almost cooked a full meal without taking one photo. But my mom reminded me. Good ol mom.
|What was left of salad dressing ingredients.|
|Yup... there's the salad dressing.|
Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing, care of Skinny Taste, over a mixed green salad with carrots, radishes, bell pepper and tomato. Can't complain!
Then I got my shiz together and remembered to use my camera. (Mostly)
The cookbook from which I got the Enchilada Recipe was a dinosaur. I swear this book has not seen the light of day for decades.
My mom has both volumes of the book. The Enchilada recipe was from the second, both published in 1972. These books have clearly not been cracked for years, because I found a notice in one of them from my elementary school about the Kindergarten schedule, circa 92.
Another sign these books are super old is this tasty ingredient used heavily throughout. YUM:
|Yeah, that says MSG. For a broth recipe! Ha!|
- Cooking spray
- 3 12 oz. bags of spinach
- 2 tbsp EVOO (thanks, Ray Ray!) PS, One time I was watching Martha (as in Stewart) on the Today show and she said EVOO and immediately corrected herself because she totally used Ray Ray's phrase. Like OMGGGGG
- 1/2 bag of the pre-chopped onions from Trader Joe's (i.e. 1 large white onion, chopped, hold the tears)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound 2% monterey jack or pepper jack cheese, grated
- 24 corn tortillas
- 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1 cup diced green chiles
|That's a lot of food storage.|
|Do this. Three times.|
|My FAVORITE ingredient. Ever?|
|I use extra thin for less calories. Each= 40 calories!|
|Rolled up, in the tub!|
|Ahhhh cheesy bath. Weird.|
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil
- Soften onions and garlic
- Add as much spinach as you can fit, stir, let it wilt down. Continue until all spinach is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once most liquid has evaporated, you are ready to make your enchiladas!
- Spray 1-2 casserole dishes with cooking spray
- Heat tortillas in microwave with a damp towel so they are pliable
- Fill each tortilla with 2 tbsp spinach and 2 tbsp cheese, roll up tight!
- There will be some extra cheese for the sauce, but fit all your spinach in the enchiladas
- For the sauce, warm milk on the stove until warm.
- Stir in sour cream, remaining cheese, and green chiles
- Pour over enchiladas
- Bake 25 minutes at 350 or until all melty and hot
- Serve with lots of Cholula
I cannot tell you enough how I love recipes from www.skinnytaste.com
Fiesta Lime Rice was limey and creamy from the black beans. Such a great partner to the enchiladas!
And for dessert, Lemon Cheesecake Yogurt Cups via skinnytaste, but instead of the Vanilla Wafer that she calls for, I used the Triple Ginger Snaps from Trader Joe's... YUMMMM
|Topped with half a ginger snap and blackberries|
These were just like lemon cheesecake, but they are made with nonfat greek yogurt and low-fat cream cheese so they have a lot less guilt with them. These are about 110 calories each!!
|For the birthday girl!|
|"Take a picture of me!!"|