I'll tell you about it anyway.
We're eating meatless more often here in the Roady hood. It's actually rather easy! In the last two days, the only meat I've had is 2 ounces of chicken. I could never give up cheese though. Neeeevvvverrrrr..
Creamy White Bean Pasta with Crispy Kale Chips
serves 6+ (trust me, we have left overs coming out of our ears)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 heads of kale, spines removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Package of whole wheat pasta
- One can of white beans (canellini)
- 1-2 cups pasta water reserved from cooked pasta
- 2 tbsp. Shaved parmesan/romano/whatever you like and more for topping
- Sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- On a baking sheet, spritz kale with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with sea salt
- Mix the kale around so all of it is covered with the oil and salt
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, turn, then bake for another 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, boil water to cook pasta according to instructions (salt the crap out of the water, that's the ticket)
- Add oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat
- Once heated, add garlic and saute until just starting to brown
- Add cherry tomatoes and stir occasionally for about 5 mintes (basically don't let them stick/burn)
- Season lightly with sea salt and plenty of black pepper (don't go too heavy on salt, you will be adding cheese and pasta water, which will be salty)
- Once cherry tomatoes are super soft and have given up a lot of their juices, add the can of beans (with liquid) and cup of pasta water
- Stir well and let simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese, stir until melted
- Dump the pasta in the saute pan (oh, ps, make sure to use a big pan) and toss
- You may need to add more pasta water depending on the shape of noodle you choose (I used spaghetti shape and only needed 1.5 cups of pasta water total)
- Serve with kale chips on the side so people can crumble them over the noodles along with more shaved cheese
This was so decadent and tasty and BONUS: vegetarian!
Whole wheat (fiber!), protein (for your gigantic muscles!), garlic (good for your heart! my dad said "good for your breath!") , tomatoes (lycopene! antioxidant!)
The kale chips won't really keep unless you leave them out uncovered, so plan ahead.
Tomorrow I'm cooking out of a very old and once super popular cookbook. (70's... hippies... my mother)
I promise to take pics!