4/9/12

Citrus Blueberry Bars

I don't make sweets very often, but when I do, they usually taste like lemon. I love that tart flavor! Blueberries go so well with lemon, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. So when I came across this recipe, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've made a few changes to that version.
I'll be honest, I didn't put too much effort into healthifying this recipe. But now that I've tasted it and know how delicious it is, I will definitely be experimenting with it in the future.  In the future I will probably replace some of the condensed milk with greek yogurt and lighten up the crust. It's a LOT of crust, but it's a great indulgence recipe. Moderation is key!



Blueberry Lemon Lime Bars
30 servings


Crust:
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4  c. white sugar or raw sugar
zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
1/4 c. earth balance or butter, melted
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
note: you can use all coconut oil or all earth balance or all butter or whatever. I experimented and this mix was excellent. If you use all coconut oil, add 1/8 tsp. salt.

Filling:
4 egg yolks
2 cans fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 cup fresh lemon and lime juice
1 tsp each lemon and lime zest
1 3/4 c. fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350F
Generously spray a 9x12 baking dish with cooking spray
In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar and zest


Drizzle in melted butter/oil and mix


Press into the baking dish


Bake for 13 minutes, then remove and let cool for 20 minutes
Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk


Add lemon/lime juice and zest


Fold in blueberries


Pour over cooled crust and spread evenly
Bake for 20 minutes, or until center of dish has set. If you tap it with your finger, it isn't batter-y anymore, but like a cheesecake consistency. Blueberries will be a bright purply blue!


Let cool to room temp for an hour and then refrigerate for a few hours before cutting.



Use a sharp knife and cut into 30 pieces. They come out perfectly!


But try to eat only one... or two... cause swimsuit season is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment