4/7/12

Pizzazz

Around these parts, Friday night is Pizza night. It never fails. Every Friday we order two medium pizzas from Ameci's - one vegetarian, one pepperoni. And because prior to pizza I have been boxing, I tend to over-indulge. Just add wine!

Well I felt like we should probably mix that up a little bit and improve the family's health karma, so I made my own version of pizza night, but healthified.

These were inspired by a pin that's floating around on pinterest. I made it better though.




Portabella Caponata Pizzas
 six servings

cooking spray
6 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed
1 tbsp each dried oregano and basil
1 1/2 cups of bottled caponata (eggplant, olive, caper mixture- I like TJ's - just use pizza sauce if this scares you)
1 1/2 cups part skim shreddded mozzarella
30 slices pepperoni of choice (I use Tofurky italian sausage, sliced into coins)


Preheat oven to 375F
Line a baking sheet with foil (easy clean up!) and spritz mushrooms with cooking spray


Bake in oven for 10 minutes. In retrospect I would have placed the mushrooms on a cooling rack on top of the foil, so they could drip down. They give off a ton of liquid.


Sprinkle mushrooms with herbs


Spread caponata evenly


Sprinkle with a mountain of cheese


And dot with pepperoni


Bake for another 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and toppings are hot!
As these cool they will continue to drain of mushroom liquid. You could reserve this and use it as a broth in soups in the future!


 These were quite the upgrade from standard pizza dinner. Same flavors, minus the guilt. Also, these are very low carb, if you're into that sort of thing.

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment