5/18/12

I Don't Think You're Ready For This Jelly

I'm pretty biased when it comes to jams and jellies. Give me strawberry, or give me nothing else. I mean, the others are good and tasty and all, but nothing satisfies like a strawberry jelly. My favorite is TJ's brand, but I may have created a new monster.

The problem with jelly is that even if it's naturally sweetened with fruit juices, it is still just a sugary fruit carb bomb, usually on top of a carb like toast. And while I don't have anything against carbs, per se, I don't see any nutritional value in jelly.

Until now that is.

Chia seeds create a natural gel when they are moistened. I make a mean chocolate chia pudding a la OhSheGlows, but just recently learned of chia jam. PB&J will never be the same. If you need a reminder of why we love chia seeds, go here.

Strawberry Chia Jam
 makes 2 cups


1 bag frozen organic strawberries
2 heaping tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp agave syrup or honey

Let frozen berries defrost overnight in the refrigerator, or leave on the counter for a few hours.


With the bag still sealed, use your finger tips to crush the berries.


Snip the corner of the bag and pour crushed berries into a jar or something that will seal well and keep in the fridge.


Stir in chia seeds.


Sweeten to taste!


Refrigerate for 1 hour to give chia seeds time to gel.


Then eat as you wish. I like mine with greek yogurt, cereal, and nuts as a treat or a light breakfast.


Ch-ch-ch-chia!

No comments:

Post a Comment