Lemon Raspberry Overnight Oats
prepare the night before you want to eat em!
- 1/3 c regular oats (not steel cut, they don't work too well)
- 3/4 c. unsweetened soy milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (ch-ch-ch-chia!)
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed up
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Stir it up!
- Stick it in the fridge overnight.
- Chia seeds create a natural gel, so it will be super thick. You may not like the texture of chia seeds, so you can definitely omit them from the recipe and the oats would still be grrreat!
- In the am, stir up the oats
- Top with fresh berries and a dollop of vanilla greek yogurt
It's like raspberry lemon cheesecake for breakfast! The soy/almond milk and oats have protein, the oats, chia, and fruit have fiber, and the chia itself is a superfood!
Overnight oats can be flavored any way, just omit the lemon zest from the above recipe.
Other add-ins or toppings to try:
- Strawberries/Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Almond Butter/Cacao Nibs
About that chia seed...
If you haven't heard of, or tried, chia seeds, here's the info from a gram for gram comparison off a chia company's website. I have no clue if this is credible, but I like it.
What I like about chia seeds is that they fill you up! Add a tablespoon to cereal or a smoothie and you will see, they fill you up like crazy. I went on a chia oat stint for a week once and I was so full I wasn't hungry at lunch. And if you know me, you know I rarely pass up a foodurtunity.
Try some chia seeds! Eat your breakfast, kiddos!
Have a nice weekend!