Anywho! Tonight's meal is inspired by my favorite obnoxious, manic food network star, Ray Ray.
We're on a first name.
|yup, that's my face on the right there!|
Her recipe, in 365: No Repeats is called Fajita Burgers. Also ethnically safe. We have that in common.
I read the recipe once, then decided to go my own way with it. I used ground turkey, bulked it up with mushrooms for flavor and moisture, added lime, and topped my burger with guac and shredded light mexican blend cheese. Here's the deets!
Makes seven 4 oz. patties - 4 WW PP+ each
- For Burgers
- 1 package extra lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro
- 1/2 package trader joe's crazy good taco seasoning, or the taco seasoning of your choice
- a dash of salt
- For Peppers and Onions
- 2 large bell peppers - 2 different colors, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 c. salsa verde of your choice - I used Trader Joe's. Duh.
- For Burgers
- In a food processor, combine mushrooms and garlic and process until finely minced but not mush
- Dump out mushrooms into giant mixing bowl
- Use food processor to process cilantro until chopped(I heart food processors!)
- In said giant mixing bowl, dump in taco seasoning, zest and juice of lime, ground turkey, and a dash of salt
- Mix with your hands until completely incorporated
- Separate into 7 patties or however many you like
- Cook however you please. I cooked on the stove top. Since they are so lean you will need cooking spray.
- Meanwhile in Pepper/Onion land....
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over med-high heat
- Toss in pepper and onions
- Saute until softened and startin to caramelize on the edges
- Toss in garlic and saute until softened
- Pour over salsa verde
- Reduce to low and let the mixture get all yummmyyy
I topped by burgers with cheese and guac. I think I said "so freaking good!" nine times. The mushrooms keep the meat super moist and the lime zest adds so much flavor. For such lean meat, these tasted incredible.
On the side, I cooked a bag of frozen sweet potatoes in the oven, then tossed them with a bit of cilantro and taco seasoning to add some ethnic flavor. I dipped them in a mixture of salsa and fat free greek yogurt. (50/50). This dip could also work as a sauce for the burger... and is super low calorie!
Thanks for the inspiration, Ray Ray! But I win this round. Booyah.