Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Makes 12 1.5 cup, 2 WW Point Servings
- 3 large sweet yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp whipped earth balance
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 oz. dry white wine
- 64 oz. low sodium vegetable broth (salt it yourself)
- 1 tbsp worcestercestercestershire sauce (i think that's phonetic)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- fresh cracked black pepper to your liking
- sea salt to taste
- Heat up your crock pot to high and melt earth balance and EVOO
- Toss in onions and garlic
- Let em sweat and soften up for about 30 minutes, or however long it takes with your crock pot size to onion volume ratio
- Sprinkle flour over and stir well until all pieces are coated. You're not making a roux, but just suggesting a thickening agent to the soup
- Add white wine, cook uncovered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Dump in the broth, worcestercestercestershire sauce, thyme, and pepper.
- Stir and let it cook away on high for 4-6 hours. You could also do this step on low for 8-10 hours.
- Salt to taste and serve with cheese covered bread of your choice (I broiled reduced fat swiss slices and shaved parmesan over baguette slices)
No animals were harmed in the making of this soup. Except maybe the cheese animal. I destroyed him.
There is so much left over soup that some will be going into the freezer to wait for another cold day! But the cheesey bread... not so much. That will last about 16 hours in this household. Tops.
In other news, Sprinkles has developed psychic powers. She can open doors with her mind.
Oh wait, no she can't. Keep trying, kitty cat.