10/2/11

Asian Lettuce Tacos

Take asian food. Serve it like a taco. But make that taco shell a leaf of lettuce. Winner winner asian lettuce taco dinner.


I drank a lot of beer this weekend. I attended two Oktoberfests. So now I feel dehydrated, puffy, ill, and like a fat kid. I needed vegetables in mass quantity. Success. I should feel normal sauce anytime now.

Asian Lettuce Tacos
for four


Ingredients


Chicken (the protein)

  • Three chicken breasts, diced
  • 1/2 bottle your favorite stir fry sauce (I used Trader Joe's General Tsao)
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp EVOO
Onions + Mushroom (the salty)
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced in 1/4" slices
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • Dash of salt
Veggies (the sweet)
  • 1/2 bag broccoli slaw (or bean sprouts)
  • 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce (Trader Joe's!)
  • 1 tsp EVOO
Other
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce
  • 4 green onions, diced
  • Sesame seeds for garnish
  • Sriracha, AKA my second favorite food after cheese
Directions
  • Marinate chicken in soy sauce and stir fry sauce for about 30 minutes
  • You only need 1 stir fry pan for this meal:
    • First prepare the onions and mushrooms by stir frying all ingredients until soft and golden
    • Then prepare the veggies in the same way, but shorter time. You want to retain a bit of crunch.
    • Wipe out the pan with a paper towel
    • Cook chicken, drained from marinated in the oil until cooked through completely
  • Meanwhile, cook rice
  • See below for my trick on coring a head of iceberg lettuce
  • Serve each item in bowls so people can make their own "Tacos"







Would you care for a great tip on coring a head of iceberg lettuce? So that it look perfectly like this  in two seconds without the use of one sharp object? :


Core side down, slam the head of iceberg on the countertop. I swear, this works perfectly. 
Here's a humorous example of what I mean :




Pretty sure that guy is using a head of cabbage. This is an outrage.

Anywho, what goes better with this meal than cucumber onion salad? A Roady family staple, I have added my own twist to this salad with sesame seeds and red chili flakes.


It's easy:

Cucumber Onion Salad


Ingredients

  • Hot house cucumber, thinly sliced
  • Small red onion, halved, then thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c. seasoned rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. sesame seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
Directions
  • Mix it up
  • Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving so the onion mellows out and the cuc soaks up the flavors

Anywho, I'm going to go see how much water I can drink to get all these beer toxins out. Maybe I should just chug some sriracha instead?






1 comment: