7/30/12

Tuna Burgers and Seaweed Salad

Though I am a die-hard Trader Joe's loyalist, I have recently been enjoying the wider selection of food at Fresh & Easy. They have an entire aisle full of ethnic foods and a good selection of fresh fruit, vegetables, and meats. It's not too expensive either, but not as cheap as TJ's. 

Fresh ahi caught my eye on my last trip and I had to make the most of it. My favorite way to enjoy ahi, if not rare and seared, is grilled and as a sandwich. This is quintessential California food for me, so if you live in one of those landlocked  or eastern states, gives this a try for a taste of CA.

Grilled Ahi Sandwiches with Wasabi Mayo
for 4

2 fresh ahi steaks

Wasabi Mayo
  • 3 tbsp light mayo
  • 3 tbsp nonfat plain greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp prepared wasabi
Fixins
  • Whole wheat hamburger buns
  • Heirloom tomato, sliced
  • Avocado, sliced
  • Baby spinach
  • Pickled ginger
  • S & P

Mix all wasabi mayo ingredients together. 


A little bit goes a very very long way. Set in fridge while you grill.


Prep ahi steaks by slicing them in half. You can always do the full size, but that's a lot of meat, and it ain't cheap.


Perfect thickness!


Grill fish or broil - whatever works for you!

Then layer up your buns with fixins of your choice.


I personally love the ginger sweetness in the sandwich, but some people could do without. I slather both buns with wasabi mayo, then layer fish, tomato, S & P, spinach, avocado, ginger. YUM!

The perfect side for this fresh and healthy sandwich is cucumber onion salad. I added nori!

Seaweed Cucumber Salad


1 large cucumber
1 small red onion
2 sheets nori/seaweed
1/3 c. seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sesame seeds

First break up the nori sheets and soak in vinegar.



Prep cucumber by peeling, scooping out seeds, and slicing into half moons.


Add to bowl with red onion.


Top with sesame seeds and toss.




Thanks for visiting California!

No comments:

Post a Comment