8/5/12

Easy Relleno Bake

If you know anything about me, you know I have a thing for cheese. I also not so secretly wish that I were allergic to cheese, so I would stop eating it. I'd probably drop 5 pounds in a week. Sarcasm? You be the judge.

Today we're making chile rellenos... kinda! I used to make this dish all the time in high school. It was easy and delicious, and figure friendly when you need a good mexican-style cheese fix. This is about as white-washed as any mexican dish can be, so don't expect authentic mexican cuisine out of this one. In other words, lower your expectations, cuisine connoisseurs. Come down to the ranks of we lowly comfort-food-eaters.

This is a great side dish to grilled fajitas. It also makes a great burrito filler if you are into the chile relleno burrito thing. Make a dish of these and eat all week. It's a good one!

Chile Relleno Bake
8 servings


cooking spray
1 large can whole green chiles
1 pound shredded light mexican style cheese (i.e. jack blend)
1/2 c. egg substitute
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 can nonfat evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. (I made two smaller dishes)


In a mixing bowl, combine egg substitute, evaporated milk, flour, and salt. Whisk well. 


Layer half the chiles.


Half the cheese.


Remaining chiles.


And remaining cheese. Then pour over the egg mixture.


Bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbly, brown, and set!



It kind of looks like mexican lasagna for cheese addicts?

No comments:

Post a Comment