1/20/12

Avocado Pasta

Remember how I mentioned that spiral slicer I got for christmas?


Well that little buddy got to work this week for one of the greatest super healthy dinners I have had in a while.


I got to experiment with the different blades and I learned a few things. (1) I need to make Arby's status curly fries stat (2) This thing realllly doesn't slice anything dense (like carrots).


But that's okay, because zucchini is delicious. And it makes an excellent substitue to pasta!

I've been wanting to try Oh She Glow's Avocado Pasta for a while now. I've adapted this recipe to make a creamy sauce that is lighter and goes a lot further.  To go with the avocado sauce, I spiraled zucchini and cut carrot ribbons with a vegetable peeler.

twirrrlllyyyyy!


This can be done in advance, like if you're procrastinating on the day of an econ midterm.

Blanch the veggie "pasta" in salty boiling water for a few minutes. Blanch the vegetables separately so you can control cooking time. I blanched the zuch for about 1 minutes, the carrots for about 2.



Drain, but KEEP THE PASTA WATER. For this:

Lemony Avocado Pasta
1 WWP+ per heaping tablespoon
Makes about 1 cup 


Ingredients

  • 2 medium avocados
  • 1 clove garlic
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 3/4 c. pasta water (+/- for your preference)
Instructions
  • In a food processor, combine garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and EVOO
  • Process until garlic is minced
  • Add avocado 
  • Process until smooth
  • Add pasta water in 1/4 c. increments until you get a smooth sauce that's the consistency of pudding (that sounds gross, but it's very accurate)
  • Add pepper and taste for S & P adjustments



  • Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap (with plastic touching the sauce)
  • I wouldn't try re-heating this sauce.

The pasta water heats the sauce, thickens it up, and adds starchy flavor. I served my sauce poured over veggie pasta and grilled chicken breast. Just add garlic bread!


Or don't, depending on how you feel about carbs.

This sauce would be just as excellent tossed with noodles and some protein like grilled shrimp, salmon, or even crab. That could get prettttyyy fannccyyyy.

Now I have a big pile of zucchini and carrot scraps. You're gonna have to stick around to see what I made from those!


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment