1/11/12

Semi-Homemade with Savory Cornmeal Pancakes

I generally don't enjoy buying packaged products and serving them as is. Call me Sandra Lee...

So when I have a package of Jiffy corn muffin mix, you better expect me to go semi-homemade on that shizzz.


In the end, I wound up with cornmeal pancakes topped with caramelized onions, peppers, and mushrooms, fat free cheddar, and cumin spiced yogurt.



Now, the jiffy corn muffin mix does have a recipe for pancakes on the side, but if you followed that recipe you would end up with sad, thin, flimsy thingies that hardly qualifies as pancakes.

I took it took the next level.

Fluffy Cornmeal Pancakes
Makes 12 2WWP+ pancakes


Ingredients

  • 1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3- 1/2 c milk - (this depends on the size of your eggs)

Instructions

  • In a bowl, combine corn muffin mix, baking powder, and baking soda
  • In a different bowl, whip egg whites until fluffy
  • Add in yolk, oil, and cider vinegar
  • Gently stir in dry ingredients - I recommend with a dinner fork so you don't over mix the batter
  • Add milk until pancake consistency
  • Let batter rest 5 minutes before starting to make pancakes. You may find that the cornmeal soaked up a lot of moisture and you should add a little more milk to get the batter back to the desired pancake consistency.
  • Makes 12 pancakes using a less than full 1/4 cup scoop




The muffin mix does have sugar in it (I blew the no sugar in January thing, Leah), so you could still eat these pancakes as sweet, but if you top them with savory flavors, they are even better. It's a yin and yang thing. 

To top my savory pancakes, I caramelized white onion, sliced mushrooms and red bell pepper until soft and sweet.



 And then I whipped up some greek yogurt mixed with cumin and coriander.

Dollop that on top of the pancakes with some fat free cheddar, and you have yourself a crazy delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner.




You're probably thinking: EWWWW fat free cheddar?!??! GROSSSSS. Yeah, you could use real cheddar. Go ahead. I don't mind fat free cheddar, so I didn't have any qualms about going heavy-handed on the cheese. If this were full fat cheese, I would have used significantly less for calorie control. To each his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment