4/24/12

Berry Cobbler

If I'm doing this right, I think I've whined about my favorite foods before. I mean, this is MY food blog....  and cobbler is MY favorite dessert.

Let's see how many times I have mentioned this in my blog's short little life:
Not one, but two times!

Well, let's make this three then, shall we?

Hey guess what, reader? Cobbler is my FAVORITE dessert. I know, this comes as news. It all started with my grandma's peach cobbler when I was a kid, but I really don't discriminate when it comes to cobbler. I've made a tomato cobbler once, and I still daydream about it's deliciousness on occasion. I really don't care what's underneath that layer of cakey doughy goodness, a cobbler is a cobbler. And I want to eat it. End.of.story.

So here's a cheater recipe. Easy peasy. Diet-friendly. Crowd pleaser. 

Cheater Berry Cobbler
10 servings

3 small bags frozen berries (I prefer a blend of cherry, raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can diet ginger ale

Preheat oven to 350F


Spread frozen berries evenly in dish.


Evenly distribute cake mix over the berries.


Drizzle the soda over the dish. You want to get every surface wet, or you'll end up with patches of exposed uncooked cake mix. Use a spatula to saturate if necessary.


Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.


Topping will turn golden and make a nice hard shell that you have to break through to get to the juicy fruit. YUM.




Underneath the crust is a ton of juicy fruit. This is a very saucy cobbler. The soda and berry juices mix with that cake mix to make the most delicious berry sauce you will ever taste. Serve this cobbler in bowls that are deep enough so everybody can serve a few ladles of sauce. It's incredible.


Now, I like the berry + ginger mix, but you can combine any flavors you can imagine. Just stick to the template!


  1. Frozen fruit
    1. Mixed berries
    2. Blueberries and mango
    3. Peaches
    4. Cherries
    5. Blueberries
    6. Blackberries
  2. Cake mix
    1. Yellow
    2. White
    3. Vanilla
    4. Spice
    5. Angel Food
    6. Lemon
    7. Strawberry
    8. Chocolate
  3. Soda (diet or not)
    1. Ginger Ale
    2. Lemon Lime
    3. Cream Soda
    4. Orange 
    5. Vanilla Coke
    6. Black Cherry
    7. Cherry Vanilla Creme (Hansen's brand)
Seriously, go nuts. This dessert would be excellent in little personal-sized souffle dishes as well since it gets so saucy. It would be an easy yet fancy dessert for entertaining a small group. Take note. 

Now you can breath easy: If there is ever a pop quiz about my favorite dessert, you will definitely pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment