2/20/12

Baked Oatmeal

I know I have been really neglecting the blog lately and I feel pretty guilty about that. Truth is, I've been running around, eating out, and not cooking. And there isn't much to report in cooking news. However, last night I got out my handy dandy recipe clippings book and my Pinterest foodspirations board and came up with a menu for this week. That is, a menu through Wednesday night, because Thursday I'm going to see my favorite people in the whole wide world (that live in Denver)!!!

source: kim's iphone.

So today, in excitement for my Denver family visit, I made Jack-attack's baked oatmeal. Shout out!

my favorite picture of jackie // kameron ahler

One time when my awesome studio apartment was being fumigated, Sprinkles the cat and I took up residency at Jackie's awesome studio apartment. And like a good mom, Jackie made me breakfast. It was the world's most delicious version of oatmeal you will ever eat. So I have recreated it today with a few healthy omissions and substitutions. Just as delicious as Jackie's!


Baked Oatmeal
9 Servings - 4 WW P+ each


Ingredients
  • 3 cups uncooked oats
  • 1 egg + 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened natural applesauce
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • In one bowl, combine oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon
  • In another bowl, combine eggs, sugar, almond milk, melted coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla
  • Combine the two bowls and mix until incorporated
  • Pour into a greased 9x9 glass baking dish
  • Bake for 40 minutes
  • Eat with fresh fruit and more almond milk poured over the top

I topped mine with blueberries and banana.

You could make this recipe with any milk you choose, but I think the almond milk adds a little nutiness. Also, feel free to use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil, but again, I think it adds a little extra flavor.


You could also mix fruit into the mixture before baking. If I recall correctly, Jackie mixed in dried apricots and blueberries and it was bomb.com


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment