2/24/12

Playing Favorites

When I'm not pulling recipes and trying new foods, I have a relatively short list of go-to, memorized, no-recipe-necessary meals. Some of them require the microwave (not proud).

And while I'd like to say that my favorite meal is half a pound of cheese and a bottle of wine, we all know that I have too loud of a conscience to allow myself to eat like that.

So when I want an easy, quick, and HEALTHY meal, I often revert to my very favorite homemade meal.

I first had this meal when visiting my sister and her husband in Sweden. There is absolutely nothing complicated about this meal, but all the elements together are so very perfect. Hot, cold, salty, creamy, nutty, yummy. And the meal is nearly all superfoods, so you don't feel guilty about that wine!




It's simple:

  • Quinoa
  • Black beans
  • Spinach/spring mix
  • Avocado
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Drizzle of EVOO
  • Tomatoes
  • Protein: Halloumi/Tofu/whateveryouwant  


Halloumi (hull-AHM-me) is a greek grilling cheese. It's what I had with this meal when Leah made it for me. If you have never had it and like cheese, I'm not really sure what you're waiting for. You can get it at Whole Foods or a mediterranean foods shop. I've heard rumors about it at TJ's but I've never seen it.

Thus, instead of Halloumi, I often have this meal with Baked Tofu. I bake my own extra firm tofu for 20-30 minutes at 400F with a little fat free feta and shaved parmesan on top.



 But you could do this meal with chicken or whatever protein you like. I'd make sure you get some of the feta saltiness in there, though, to compensate for the lack of salty halloumi.

 To prepare this meal, simply cook some quinoa with chicken broth, warm some whole, drained and rinsed black beans, and bake or pan fry the tofu or halloumi. Plate with a generous amount of salad, top with avocado and tomato, and drizzle with a high quality EVOO and balsamic.

Couldn't get more simple if you tried.

Add this one to your home cooking repertoire! It makes for a fancy presentation, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment