2/6/12

Vegan Day One

Success!

I got so much done today, I can't believe it was only one day.
I started off with a trip to TJ's and a local health food store to pick up the week's supplies. Note that I also picked up pantry items at Target over the weekend. I estimate the grand total for 19 planned recipes that feed 3 people is about $150. Not too shabby.


Bulk spices are a wonderful thing. I transferred the baggie contents into jelly jars and labeled so I wouldn't forget. 


Say CHEEZE.

anyone interested in a taste test?
I took today to meal plan and prep for the week. Tuesday through Thursday shoot right by with work, workouts, and school, so if I don't plan ahead, I end up eating microwaved disgusting things while driving. Ick.

Today's Menu:

Breakfast AKA not vegan clean out the fridge fest AKA the last supper
  • Chobani 0% Blood Orange greek yogurt 
  • 2 pieces turkey bacon
  • Toast
  • Banana
Pre-workout Snack
2 Weight Watchers P+ for a huge piece!
Late Lunch
  • Sandwich with hummus, shredded carrots, and cucumber
  • Snapea Crisps
  • Honey crisp apple
Dinner
meatloaf ingredients

Pre-oven 

Post-oven


Meatless Meatloaf was a hit! It was mostly garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, and oats, but all the seasonings were absolutely perfect. Kudos to Mama Pea. This is a MUST MAKE for anyone interested in a meatless meal.

On the side were these AWESOME garlic mashed potatoes. The recipe starts with 2 cans of white beans pureed with garlic, salt, and paprika. I modified the recipe a bit from Angela's version.  See recipe below.

Garlic Mash

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

  • 10 large red potatoes
  • 2 cans white beans (navy or great northern variety) drained and rinsed
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp whipped earth balance
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups reserved hot water from boiled potatoes (or hot vegetable broth)
  • cracked black peper to taste
Instructions
  • Scrub potatoes clean, cover with cold water, and boil for 20-30 minutes or until fork tender
  • Meanwhile, in a food processor, chop garlic until minced
  • Add beans and puree until smooth
  • Dump into a very large bowl
  • Add paprika, salt, and a 1/2 c. of hot water
  • When potatoes are ready, fish them out of the water and add to the big bowl with the bean mixture
  • Mash em up!
    • You could always rice the potatoes in to the bean mixture if you're afraid of potato chunks (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)
  • Add hot water as you mash until you're happy with consistency
  • Season with S & P until your taste buds have a happy party on your tongue
I think I'm in love with these potatoes.


Oh yes, and then I had dessert
This blog has been entirely too long, so I will save the deets on that dessert for another night.

I'm going to go digest my plants now.


No comments:

Post a Comment