1/16/13

Roasted Marinara

I can keep a 50 pound dog alive - perfectly healthy! - but for the life of me, I cannot keep a basil plant alive.

Too much sun, not enough sun. Too much water, not enough water. Bugs eating the leaves. Pets eating the leaves. Picked too many of the leaves.

This basil plant I picked up last weekend will be my 4th attempt as basil plant ownership. Annddd I think it's already dying.

So, at the pre-funeral for my basil plant, I will bring this:

Roasted Marinara
makes 4 cups

4 lbs grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
2 large sweet onions
5 cloves garlic, peeled
15-20 freshly picked large basil leaves
3 tbsp EVOO
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp red chili flakes if you so dare

Wash basil, since you don't know who or what has been chewing/licking/barfing/peeing on the leaves.

Wash tomatoes too! Pat dry.


Spray 1 large or 2 medium casserole dishes with cooking spray and add in tomatoes. You want a single layer so they will roast. If they are too tight, they will just steam.


Peel and roughly chop the onion.  Spread the onion, garlic, and basil over tomatoes.


Drizzle with EVOO. Shake the pan around so oil gets nicely distributed.


Sprinkle over the salt and the hotness.

Roast at 425 for 1 hour for 1 pan, longer for two, or until items look like this:


Transfer in batches to a blender.


You'll want to vent the blender. Blend until smooth.


Steamy.


Transfer to a saucepan and simmer on low until your noodles or whatever are ready. This is where you can add extra seasoning like salt or more hotness. You could also add grated romano or parm, a splash of wine, more basil, vodka and cream, etc etc to customize.  This recipe makes a simply amazing basic marinara.


It's a bright orangy red unlike the bottled stuff, which is usually fortified with tomato paste. And it's amazing.


You could also make this recipe with regular sized tomatoes like heirlooms or romas. You will likely have a thinner sauce which might benefit from 3-5 tablespoons of tomato paste. Or you could simmer uncovered and let it reduce if you have the time.

You may have noticed a new setting for my photos! (different dishes, CRAPTASTIC lighting, different countertops). Here's my new kitchen!


Lighting is kinda wonky in here, so bear with me.




1 comment:

  1. Nice kitchen; I am super jealous. Also, it seems like that blender was a good investment!

    ReplyDelete