I got so much done today, I can't believe it was only one day.
I started off with a trip to TJ's and a local health food store to pick up the week's supplies. Note that I also picked up pantry items at Target over the weekend. I estimate the grand total for 19 planned recipes that feed 3 people is about $150. Not too shabby.
Bulk spices are a wonderful thing. I transferred the baggie contents into jelly jars and labeled so I wouldn't forget.
|anyone interested in a taste test?|
Breakfast AKA not vegan clean out the fridge fest AKA the last supper
- Chobani 0% Blood Orange greek yogurt
- 2 pieces turkey bacon
- Pumpkin Spice Protein Bars a la Mama Pea
|2 Weight Watchers P+ for a huge piece!|
- Sandwich with hummus, shredded carrots, and cucumber
- Snapea Crisps
- Honey crisp apple
Meatless Meatloaf was a hit! It was mostly garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, and oats, but all the seasonings were absolutely perfect. Kudos to Mama Pea. This is a MUST MAKE for anyone interested in a meatless meal.
On the side were these AWESOME garlic mashed potatoes. The recipe starts with 2 cans of white beans pureed with garlic, salt, and paprika. I modified the recipe a bit from Angela's version. See recipe below.
High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 10 large red potatoes
- 2 cans white beans (navy or great northern variety) drained and rinsed
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp whipped earth balance
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups reserved hot water from boiled potatoes (or hot vegetable broth)
- cracked black peper to taste
- Scrub potatoes clean, cover with cold water, and boil for 20-30 minutes or until fork tender
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, chop garlic until minced
- Add beans and puree until smooth
- Dump into a very large bowl
- Add paprika, salt, and a 1/2 c. of hot water
- When potatoes are ready, fish them out of the water and add to the big bowl with the bean mixture
- Mash em up!
- You could always rice the potatoes in to the bean mixture if you're afraid of potato chunks (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)
- Add hot water as you mash until you're happy with consistency
- Season with S & P until your taste buds have a happy party on your tongue
I think I'm in love with these potatoes.
Oh yes, and then I had dessert
- Black Bean Brownies a la Happy Herbivore
- Protein Ice Cream a la Mama Pea
- more like protein pudding ice cream. this is not a complaint.
This blog has been entirely too long, so I will save the deets on that dessert for another night.
I'm going to go digest my plants now.