So naturally, I don't have time to go grocery shopping and I reallllly don't have time to make anything from scratch. Luckily, you can usually make a meal out of what you have in the fridge and pantry as long as you get a little creative. I've made a salad like this before, but I decided to provide a template for this recipe since it is SO versatile.
- 3 cups grain/noodle of choice
- white rice
- brown rice
- wild rice
- mini pasta
- 3 cups chopped fruit and/or veggies
- bell pepper
- red onion
- 1/4 cup dressing (bottled or freshly made)
- lime juice
- 1/4 c. chopped herbs (optional)
- italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 c. cheese (optional)
- crumbled feta
- fresh mozzarella
- extra sharp cheddar
- goat cheese
- If you want to make it a one dish meal, then add 2 cups of protein
- grilled chicken
- salad shrimp
- cubed steak
- Cook grain according to instructions, let cool.
- Add other ingredients
I made mine with red onion, tomato, bell pepper, mango, cucumber, and avocado. I dressed it with hot chili oil, EVOO, seasoned rice wine vinegar, and lime juice. Amazing!
I also used Israeli Couscous, which is so yummy, you MUST try it.