3/9/12

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Apparently cauliflower is one of those vegetables that just does what you tell it to. That cauliflower crust pizza a couple weeks ago?  Bomb.dot.com

Cauliflower itself really doesn't have much flavor. At least I don't think so. I've seen it on a lot of menus recently with curry or roasted as a side dish. It picks up the flavor of whatever you put on it. When I was a kid my mom used to steam a head of cauliflower and top it with this mayo-cheese-mustard mixture which sounds absolutely terrible but was absolutely not. The last time I had this I was probably 7, so what I'm saying is that it was so good that I remember it 18 years later. That shouldn't be surprising... I did say "cheese".

Anyway, I've heard that cauliflower can be mashed just like potatoes and I had to be the judge myself. I had some red potatoes that needed to be used, so I'll be honest: I didn't go 100% cauliflower. Now, if you're craving mashed potatoes, I don't think this will cut it. However, if you want a creative vegetable side dish, then this is the ticket.

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Serves 8 hungry hippos


Ingredients

  • 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
  • 4 small red potatoes, roughly chopped
  • 2 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 c. greek yogurt
  • 2 tbsp earth balance or butter
  • 1/2 c. shredded cheese of choice
  • S&P to taste
Instructions
  • In a pot, cover potatoes and cauliflower with cold water


  • Boil until fork tender (you stab it, it falls off the fork)
  • Reserve 1 cup of starchy water
  • Strain potatoes/cauli
  • Replace into pot
  • Add remaining ingredients


  • Mash mash mash! 
  • Add starchy water to thin until you are happy with the consistency


  • You could also put all ingredients in a blender and puree for baby food.... i mean..... fancy food
You could take this recipe and go 100% cauli or 100% potato. The mash-ins were superb. Greek yogurt adds extra protein and tart flavor. The rest of the ingredients are just savory and cheesy enough without being super guilt-inducing (like cream cheese, full fat sour cream, etc). 

Give 'em a try!!


No comments:

Post a Comment