Cilantro is cheap, I know, but someone went through the effort to grow it and cultivate it and throwing it away is just insulting to that kind farmer. So how do we use cilantro? Top tacos. Top a pizza. Top a salad. Top Top Top. But what if I want to use it another way?
Like... in eggs?
So how about some cilantro eggs with cumin spiced tortilla crisps and a fresh salsa this morning?
Green Eggs and Salsa with Cumin Crisps
for two, or one very hungry writer of this blog
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1 tsp EVOO
- pinch of sea salt
- sprinkle of cumin
- Green Eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 3/4 c. egg whites (in a carton) or 6 egg whites
- 1/4 c. shredded cheddar
- cooked chicken, ham, turkey, bacon, ground meat, or any other meaty filling you may like... or none if you like, whatevs.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 c. roughly chopped red onion
- 1/2 c. heirloom cherry tomatoes
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- In a medium non-stick skillet, heat EVOO over med-high heat
- Cut the corn tortilla into 1/8's
- Spread tortilla triangles in pan evenly and let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until brown and crispy
- Remove from pan and immediately sprinkle with sea salt and cumin
- Set aside, but leave pan on the stove and reduce heat to medium
- In a blender, whip up egg whites, black pepper, and cilantro
- Pour into hot pan
- Cover and let the eggs cook for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through and bottom of eggs are brown and crispy
- Top with meat and cheddar, replace lid, and remove from heat
- In a clean blender or food processor, mince the garlic
- Then add cilantro and red onion and pulse until finely chopped
- Add cherry tomatoes and lime juice and pulse until chopped and incorporated
- Top your omelette with greek yogurt (like sour cream!) and the fresh salsa
- Serve the chips on the side
Amazzzziinnnggggg!!! That fresh salsa is sweet and garlic-y and delicious and works perfectly with the herby eggs and melty cheese. And those cumin chips? Awesome. Great for any meal. You could leave them in the frying pan and pour the eggs over the chips for a migas-like dish. I like having something crunchy to scoop up my eggs with, so I put them on the side. Do as you wish.
So what's the scoop on cilantro? Why do we like it?
Well, apparently cilantro has a slew of health benefits.
- helps reduce ldl and increase hdl cholesterol
- tummy soother
- digestive aid
- vit's A, K, and C
- iron, magnesium
So eat up!